Friday, September 11, 2009

Just Another Day on the MTA by Chris Gall



I want to ask what kind transportation do you usually use these days? Taxes, Buses or subways? I usually take a subway to go from home to school. I think the subway is one of the most significant transportation in NY City. Do you often take a subway? You may answer either "Yes" or "No". If you say " Yes", you have probably seen some interesting art in the trains in addition to the advertising. The most interesting picture for me is the picture above. This picture is so inspiring to me and it makes me to write about this.


I have gotten interested in this picture in the end of July this year. It was when I helped IMPACT(Interactive Multimedia Performing Arts Collaborative Technology) workshop as a counselor. I helped mostly korean students for not only translating, but also thinking style, such as more surreal, abstractive and creative ways. One day, I took E train to go home with after working IMPACT. During the day, I gave some advice for students to be able to think the more creative way. Most of Korean student have limited thought as I just arrived in USA. Maybe, this is because of the korean culture that people shouldn't express their emotion what they think. So, they are awkward to represent their expression. For example, a great musician is just the well trained musician to perform pieces or a musical technician. Like a musician, a train is just the train that they have believed. It can't be changed in their mind. They can't think other creative trains like above picture. REALISM,,,, NATURALISM,,,,NOMINALISM... Isn't it so creative train in this picture? Moreover, look at the details. There is nothing common face, so I can't ignore any detain things in this picture. There is only thing common that a man wears a business suite, but he is falling down from the transportation. I think it indicates the difficult economic situation. I know it doesn't relate with music concept. It is more closer to business subject. However, one of doctoral students at NYU announced that creative thought is needed to not only music, but also to all the subject as we have just seen that picture on the subway. It has to interact with all the subjects.


It is time to break your limited thought and then open your eyes and mind

No comments:

Post a Comment